Puch Acceleration Problem
Matthew R Cordes
May 06, 2002 10:34 PDT
I'm having a few problems with my 1980/81 Puch Magnum
1. Acceleration - although the fastest I've had it is about 30mph on a
flat surface it takes a few minutes to get that fast. As you can imagine,
cars behind me are usually pretty displased by my slow start. Perhaps
this is a clue: it seems to accelerate significantly faster (and obviously
much louder) with the exhaust pipe removed.
2. It seems to idle too high and wants to go forward even w/o me giving it
gas. I've played with the idle screw and reduced tauntness of
the throttle cable.
3. Some stalling, although I think this has more to do with a little bit
of old gas still being in the tank which was mostly burned up yesterday.
4. Starting is very sporadic. Some times I can pedal start it on the
first try, some times I ride down a street or two pedalling frantically
5. Noise. My friend told me the timing may be the cause. This isn't
something I'm familair with, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is also a slight knocking sound at higher speeds, could although the
piston moves smoothly when I move the magneto by hand.
To be honest acceleration is really my biggest concern, followed by the
very fast idle. Also, can someone give me a brief tutorial on the purpose
of points, how to check and replace bad ones.
Thanks in advance,