Web moped2.org

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:08:38
Subject: Re: ISO 9001,..
From: Marko

>Does this certificate really help? I think it's yet another way for nogoods
>to make money. These certificats do cost a lot of money, and do not really
>add anything to an organisation IMHO.

The good thing is that the company is under "surveilance" by an independent
commission which can examine the production process without warning at any
given time and if there's something wrong, they can always take away the
certificate (a very bad thing for corporate reputation :-). So this
mechanism is more of a long-term protection against low quality products,
besides that any company wishing to sell/import things on the European
market has to have it, so it's also an obligation- loose it and you can
forget about exporting. But IMHO if Tomos manufactures parts good enough for
BMW and along with that entire Sachs moped engine line, there's no logical
reason why they couldn't make a good moped. After all, they are in the
business since 1959. Which brings me to another interesting question- what
happened to Puch? Did they decide to toss the moped production out and go
only with military stuff? Anybody up-to-date on Puch in this mailing list?

>If we replace the twisted exhaust with a normal one on the new type Tomos,
>they run 60 Km/h easy.

Yes, that's the speed the automatic moped series were designed for, which
was before the speed limit went from 60 to 50 km/h on the domestic market.
If I remember correctly, the first A3 models originally had the shorter
exhaust manifold. BTW, do you only replace the manifold or the expansion
chamber and/or muffler also?

>I think performance will improve even more if you'd fit the old straight
>manifold..

I was testing both reed types on an early A35 model, which still had the
shorter intake manifold. I was asking if you noticed any difference in
performance between the old and the new reed design, like I have.

Bye, Marko