Web moped2.org

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:22:42
Subject: Re: Tomos Mopeds 1995 to 2000 do not a a Electronic rev limiter in the CDI
From: Marko

>We have had several changes with ignition systems being switched and
substituted in the factory without our knowledge. When assembling some new
mopeds we called there importer and asked some questions about the new
ignition systems and they did not even know of the change until we called.

Is there a possibility that some of the mopeds have the restricted CDI and
some don't?
I've been talking about this with the Tomos Service Department, and the guys
said that it has a restrictor. This was apparently the No1 question from the
service shops, as the engines were bogging down when revved unloaded, after
they started mouning the CDI ignition back in 1995.. Then I talked to the
R&D and they confirmed it, but warned that it is of a non-conventional type,
as I have previously explained (doesn't cut out ignition) and works combined
with the restrictive thermal unit.

>We responded to the restricted CDI (electronic module) as our hand held
tachometer which counts the spark pulses directly at the spark plug and our
direct connection in dash tachometer show no evidence of electronic
restriction in the CDI unit.

I have seen the dash tachometer on your website, it only counts up to 8000.
Which brings an interesting question of how you were able to measure the RPM
over 8000 under load e.g. when driving- when you measured it with the hand
held, did you just rev it up on the stand, or did you actually drive the
thing around?

>We are not looking for 100% accuracy but can tell you these mopeds are
performing well.

That's a very abstract statement. You have said in your previous post that
you have achieved 50-55 mph top speed at revs of 8000-9500, but the actuall
revs at that speed are 10000-11000. So what has been stated incorrectly on
your part here, the RPM reading or the top speed?