Montana Moped Laws

Montana Moped Laws

Moped Defintion

A moped is any vehicle with two or three wheels that cannot excede 30 mph, has an engine capacity of less than 50cc, and has a maximum of 2 brake horsepower. Any two or three wheeled vehicle not meeting these standards must be classified as a motorcyle.

Moped Registration

Almost all mopeds must be registered in Montana to be operated legally on public roadways. One exeption is that mopeds that may be operated by the use of foot pedals are not required to be registered to be operated on public roads and highways. Upon registration, license plates are required to be placed on the moped. Additionally, all "pocket bikes" and mini choppers must also be registered as a moped or motorcycle to be operated on public roads.

New residents must apply for a Montana vehicle title and register their vehicles within 60 days of establishing residency. Non-residents who are gainfully employed in Montana must present their current out-of-state vehicle registration to the county treasurer's office. Taxes or fees in lieu of taxes are due, along with appropriate registration fees. Non-residents may choose to register by the calendar quarter. The vehicle must display the license plates from both its home state and from Montana.

Moped License Requirements

All operators of mopeds in Montana must hold a valid operator's license. A motorcycle license endorsement is not required to operate a moped on public roadways.

Moped Titling Procedure

Since mopeds are classified as a motor vehicle, they must follow the motor vehicle titling procedures

  1. Apply at the county treasurer's office in the county you live in.
  2. Present the previous year's Montana registration receipt or out-of-state title. If you have recently purchased a vehicle from a licensed auto dealer, the dealer will send or deliver the necessary paperwork to the county treasurer's office.The county clerk may ask you to complete a Statement of Fact (Form MV100) to clarify certain facts about the title transfer.
  3. Once the title process has been completed, you must pay all taxes and fees, and your vehicle will be registered and license plates issued.
  4. A copy of the registration receipt must be kept in each vehicle at all times, along with proof of liability insurance as required in MCA 61-6-301.
  5. When the ownership of a vehicle titled in Montana is transferred, the signatures of all parties shown on the face of the title must sign off on the title and have their signatures notarized.

Vehicle Insurance Requirements

Montana requires all operators of motor vehicles to be insured for the following:

  • $10,000 for property damage
  • $25,000 for the death or injuries of one other person
  • $50,000 for the death or injuries of two other people
Other Moped Laws

  • To be operated at night, mopeds must have one tailight, a tail reflector, and on headlight.
  • Eye protection for riders is not mandatory, but is recommended along with good shoes and
  • All moped operators and riders under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet.
  • All vehicles must have a working horn that can be heard from 200 feet away.
  • Every vehicle must have a working muffler that stops excessive noise and smoke.
  • Mopeds should be operated as far to the right as possible while driving on a public roadway.
  • Moped operators must obey all other traffic rules while operating on public roads.

External Resources
  • Montana Department of Justice -- Driving in Montana
  • Montana's Drivers Manual (PDF Document)

  • Forums at Privacy policy Home My other sites

    Home   Contact
    Wikipedia Affiliate Button