Nevada Moped Laws
2021 update: Registration is required.
1 time plate charge.
Also add electric mopeds
Motor not to exceed 1.5KW (equal to 50cc gas)
Same speed limit.
Basic drivers license
“Moped” means a vehicle which looks and handles essentially like a bicycle and is propelled by a small engine which produces not more than 2 gross brake horsepower and which has a displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimeters, and:
1. Is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but is not a tractor; and
2. Is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than 1 percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged.
Moped registration is not required.
When any motorcycle, except a trimobile or moped, is being driven on a highway, the driver and passenger shall wear protective headgear securely fastened on the head and protective glasses, goggles or face shields meeting the standards.
1. A motorcycle or moped shall not be driven upon a highway while carrying more than one person unless such motorcycle or moped is designed by the manufacturer to carry more than one person.
2. A passenger shall ride:
(a) Behind the driver and astride the permanent or regular seat which was designed for two persons;
(b) Astride another seat firmly attached at the rear of the driver; or
(c) In a sidecar attached.
3. Every such motorcycle or moped designed for transporting a passenger shall be equipped with footrests adjusted to fit such passenger.
Driver’s position while operating.
1. A person driving a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto.
2. A person shall not drive a motorcycle or moped with the seat for the driver so positioned that the driver, when sitting astride the seat with the motorcycle or moped in a stopped and upright position, cannot reach the ground with both feet simultaneously.
Height of handlebar.
A person shall not drive a motorcycle or moped equipped with handlebars which extend above the uppermost portion of the driver’s shoulders when the driver sits on the seat and the seat is depressed by the weight of the driver.
Position of driver’s hands.
The driver of a motorcycle or moped shall drive with at least one hand on a handlebar at all times.
Fenders required while in operation.
A person shall not drive a motorcycle or moped unless the wheels are protected by fenders to prevent the throwing of rocks, dirt, water or other substances to the rear.